First-year students are encouraged to begin with our 200-level gateway courses or the introductory methods courses. Here is a list of courses recommended for first-year students for the upcoming academic year.Please note that course offerings are subject to change until registration begins before each quarter.
GATEWAY COURSESThree gateway courses are required for the major:
- Poli_Sci 201 – Introduction to Political Theory
- Poli_Sci 220 – American Government and Politics
- Poli_Sci 230 – Introduction to Law in the Political Arena
- Poli_Sci 240 – Introduction to International Relations
- Poli_Sci 250 – Introduction to Comparative Politics
INTRODUCTORY METHODS COURSES
A methodology course is required for the major and we recommend taking one of the introductory methods courses for first-year students.
- Poli_Sci 210 – Introduction to Empirical Methods in Poli Sci
- Poli_Sci 211 - Introduction to Interpretive Methods in Poli Sci
If you have decided to declare Political Science as your major or minor, it is a simple process—see How to Declare for instructions.
Department advisors are available most days of the week during the academic year to answer your questions about the major, minor, and course selection.
Prospective majors/minors can get additional political science information:
For both Weinberg College and university academic advising:Back to top