The Department of Political Science has a long history of strength in the study of European politics. Current strengths include expertise on:
- European political economy
- National and supranational judicial and political institutions
- Political parties in Europe
- Social policy in Europe
- State formation in Europe
- Law, politics and the foreign policy of of the European Union
- Democratization of Eastern Europe
Students can supplement their course work on European politics with two unique study abroad programs:
Northwestern has also approved a large number of other study abroad programs in many other European countries for our students.
Graduate students can participate in the dual degree Phd programs in France and Denmark.
Faculty are also active in Joint Research and Doctoral Programs with French universities, the Political Parties working group, and the Buffett Center’s Central and Southeast European Studies working group.
Faculty studying European Politics include: