Karen J. Alter Professor of Political Science and Law, Director of Honors
Research Interest(s): Multilateralism; International Law; International Courts; Politics of Human Rights, Law and Politics
Program Area(s): International Relations; Comparative Politics; Law and Politics
Regional Specialization(s): Latin America; Africa; Europe
Department Strength(s): Law and Politics; International Organizations and International Law; Comparative Historical Analysis
Karen Alter's research investigates the judicialization of international relations, focusing on Europe, Africa, Latin America and economic, human rights and mass atrocities and environmental issues. Fluent in French, Italian and German, she has authored four books, co-edited the Oxford Handbook on International Adjudication, and published over forty articles and book chapters. Winner of the John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship and the Berlin Prize from the American Academy in Berlin, Professor Alter is member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and serves on the editorial boards of International Organization and Law and Social Inquiry. Alter is a Permanent Visiting Professor at the iCourts Center of Excellence, at the University of Copenhagen Faculty of Law, and the chair of the advisory board of Pluricourts at the University of Oslo.
- The New Terrain of International Law: Courts, Politics, Rights (Princeton University Press, 2014)
- Oxford Handbook on International Adjudication (Oxford University Press, 2014) (co-editor with Cesare Romano and Yuval Shany)
- International Legal Transplants: Law and Politics of the Andean Tribunal of Justice (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2015, with Laurence Helfer).
- The European Court’s Political Power (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- Establishing the Supremacy of European Law (Oxford University Press, 2001)
- “A New International Human Rights Court for West Africa: The Court of Justice for the Economic Community of West African States.” With Laurence Helfer and Jacqueline McAllister. American Journal of International Law. 107 (4): 737-779. 2013.
- “The Global Spread of European Style International Courts.” West European Politics 35 (1): 135-154. 2012.
- “Nature or Nurture: Judicial Lawmaking in the European Court of Justice and the Andean Tribunal of Justice.” With Laurence Helfer. International Organization 64 (4) 563-92. 2010.
- “Islands of Effective International Adjudication: Constructing an Intellectual Property Rule of Law in the Andean Community.” With Laurence Helfer and Maria Florencia Guerzovich. American Journal of International Law 103 (1) 2009: 1-43.
- “The Politics of International Regime Complexity.” With Sophie Meunier Perspective on Politics 7 (1) 13-24. 2009.
- PS 101: The International Politics of Human Rights
- PS 343: The Politics of International Law
- PS 347: Ethics and International Affairs
- PS 395: International Organizations and National Policy
- PS 398: Honors Thesis Seminar
- PS 440: International Relations Theory
- PS 442: International Organization
- PS 443: International Law and International Politics
- International Courts and Tribunals
- American Academy Berlin Prize, 2012.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, awarded in the field of law, 2011.
- Honorable Mention (2010), Best Contribution to the European Journal of International Relations, 2007-2009. “Agent or Trustee: International Courts in their Political Context.” European Journal of International Relations 14 (1) 33-63. 2008.