Skip to main content

Study Abroad

Earning Major/Minor Credit Abroad

The Political Science Department allows a maximum of TWO courses from study abroad to count toward the major (and up to three “related” courses for students following the pre-2014 major requirements).

The Department allows only ONE course from study abroad to count toward the minor.

Research the course descriptions of the classes you plan to take abroad so your adviser can consult them and ensure the classes correspond to major/minor requirements at Northwestern. The Political Science Department cannot give prior approval or credit for courses that students plan to take during their study abroad. But advisers can give students guidance on whether study abroad courses appear to correspond with major/minor requirements.

The department typically looks favorably on courses taught in Political Science departments or by trained political scientists. Courses like “Politics of Spain” or “the Political Economy of South Africa” are usually counted as 300-level credit in Political Science.

After completing your study abroad program, you will need to bring a hard copy of the syllabus from your class and other course materials (including, if necessary, your written papers and exams) along with a Petition for Credit for Courses Taken Abroad form   to the Director of Undergraduate Studies in order to petition for credit. If you lack hard-copy records of the courses you took abroad, you cannot receive Political Science credit for those courses.

Exceptions to these rules are study abroad programs run directly by Northwestern, including the European Union Studies Program in Paris. All courses taken in these programs can be counted towards the major and minor and they do not require a Petition for Credit from Study Abroad.

Department of Political Science contact:

Professor Laurel Harbridge Yong, Director of Undergraduate Studies 
Scott Hall Room 312A

For more information about studying abroad, please visit the Northwestern University Study Abroad Office.

630 Dartmouth Place, 2nd Floor
Evanston, IL 60208
Office Hours: M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Phone: (847) 467-6400 Fax:    (847) 467-6410

Back to top