Jahara "Franky" Matisek
Program Area(s): International Relations; Comparative Politics
Regional Specialization(s): Africa; Middle East
Subfield Specialties: Africa; Middle Eastern Politics
The Development of Strong Militaries in Africa: The Role of History and Institutions
Dissertation Committee: Will Reno, Marina Henke, and Paul Staniland (University of Chicago)
Research Interests: Military Interventions, African Politics, Insurgency and Counterinsurgency, Institutions
- Buddhika B. Jayamaha and Jahara W. Matisek, "The Crisis of Security Sector Reform in Fragmented States: Oligopolies, Duopolies, and Monopolies of Violence," Working Paper, January 16, 2018.
- "Shades of Gray Deterrence" Journal of Strategic Security (accepted and forthcoming).
- "Dealing with the Arab Spring from the Combined Air Operations Center," Small Wars Journal, 17 April 2017.
- "American Civil-Military Relations since George Washington: Has Donald Trump Changed the Dynamic?" Outlines of Global Transformations: Politics, Economics, Law (accepted and forthcoming).
- "Drop Zone: What's in a Name? Redefining Drones in the Professional Lexicon," Over the Horizon: Multi-Domain Operations & Strategies, 1 September 2017.
- "The Death of American Conventional Warfare: It’s the Political Willpower, Stupid," The Strategy Bridge, accepted and forthcoming (coauthored with Ian Bertram).
- 5 Reasons an F-22 Raptor Restart Is a Terrible Idea,” Task & Purpose, 20 June 2016.
- “The Danger of Trump to Civil-Military Relations,” Cicero Magazine, 19 June 2016.
- “A pilot responds: No, General Petraeus, airpower isn’t the answer in Afghanistan,”Foreign Policy: The Best Defense, 19 January 2016.
- “LGBT Pride Month and a History of its Pioneers.” Sheppard Air Force Base Newspaper, 1 June 2014.
- "Drones and Airpower: A Lack of Deterrence in Unconventional Warfare."Small Wars Journal, 2 September 2015.
- “Let’s Make ISIS a State.” Cicero Magazine, 30 September 2015.
- “As US Bombs ISIS, Be Wary of Moscow’s Spies.”Defense One, 2 December 2015.
- Summer Workshop on the Analysis of Military Operations and Strategy (SWAMOS), Sponsored by the Saltzman Institute, Columbia University (2017 SWAMOS Fellow)
- SSRC Dissertation Proposal Development (DPD) Program (2017-2018 Participant)
- Small Wars Journal and Military Writers Guild 2017 Writing Contest; Finalist Article: "Dealing with the Arab Spring from the Combined Air Operations Center"The Strategy Bridge 2017 Writing Contest; (top 10%)
- Summer Seminar in History and Statecraft, Sponsored by Clements Center for National Security, University of Texas - Austin (2016 Fellow)
- Honorable Mention Article: "The Death of American Conventional Warfare: It’s the Political Willpower, Stupid"
- 2016 General Larry D. Welch Deterrence Writing Award, presented by Admiral Cecil D. Haney, Commander United States Strategic Command at The Deterrence Symposium.